Monday, February 4, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley

Gordon B. Hinckley was truly a Man of God.



When Kim and I heard of Pres. Hinckley's passing there was a deafening silence in the room followed by a few sniffles and a few tears. My first reaction was to feel selfishly sad. Then I realized that it was his time to Return With Honor. It's hard to imagine a church, or a world, without him. I was always excited to watch any talk he gave and strive to better follow his example and put his teachings into practice. His speeches were very simple and encouraging, direct and piercing yet always full of love. After hearing him speak I would always walk away with a higher sense of purpose and a renewed vigor for personal and spiritual progress. It's very easy to call a man like that a Prophet.

He was the Prophet for most of my adult life so as my testimony grew so grew my love and respect for him and his calling. In my opinion, what he has done for the church as a modern day Prophet is second only to Joseph Smith. I know it was time for him to go, but it's a shame Mason will never have the opportunities to listen to him that I had. I wish he could have stayed another 20 years so Mason could learn from him like I did.

I'm excited for the years ahead. I have always looked up to President Monson, and now I can say that I've actually shaken the hand of a living Prophet. He is another speaker you don't want to miss listening to. Many people say that he has big shoes to fill. I don't think you can fill President Hinckley's shoes. I think those will be set aside and President Monson will not replace President Hinckley, but fill the position in his unique way.

"Forget yourself and go to work"

1 comment:

presidentrbell2032 said...

There I was searching the words Gordon B. Hinckley, trying to find a good picture of him to hang in my room to remind me of his wonderful life and teachings, and to inspire me to grow more like him, when suddenly I find myself at a blog. Well what the heck I thought usually I hate blogs but I was curious what people were saying about him. Well to skip to the point I was very impressed with all of the articles I've seen and I was very surprised to run into an LDS family on the vast dimension we call the internet. Way to go with your attitudes and new family. I salute you, all of you, not just the writer but all of the wonderful people he writes about in his stories. Oh and congratulations on your new son. I really enjoyed reading and will definitely visit in the future.
Sincerely,
Ryan
presidentrbell2032@hotmail.com