Thursday, June 12, 2008

Stuff Cub Scouts Taught Me

For those that don't know, I am a 'Den Mother' for the Bear Cubs in my ward. This week's den meeting came in handy for me so I thought I would share it with you.

This week we talked about being resourceful. Meaning, when you don't have exactly what you need you find alternatives and make it work. As I said, this came in handy today. While cooking dinner this evening I was opening a can of corn and as the lid popped off of the can it cut deeply into my finger. I would probably say this was the deepest cut I have had since my older brother threw a chunk of concrete over an outhouse and clocked me on my head. I needed stitches then, and I probably need them now. BUT....THAT is when being resourceful comes in. Being unemployed I currently don't have health insurance. So I am guessing it would cost a few hundred dollars to go to the hospital and get stitched up. So...following is a quick guide for those 'do it yourselfers' out there. rather than spend $200 to $500 at the hospital, I spent $12.85 at Smith's. You can't get much more resourceful than that!

SUPPLIES


- Super Glue instead of Stitches
- Band Aid - for obvious reasons
- Stretchy, Breathable medical tape - for the splint - I need a splint because every time I bend my finger it opens back up and starts bleeding again.
- Ice-cream bar stick - also for the splint. The good thing about this is you get to eat the ice-cream first!

If you are squeemish don't scroll all the way down. those are the before pictures. If you look closely you'll see a little bit of 'meat' coming out of my finger. But here is the after picture. Not too bad if I say so myself.





















3 comments:

Marianne and Matt said...

That's kinda disgusting, but I have to give you credit for fixing it yourself. I probably would have panicked in that situation. Hope your around if I ever get a bad cut:) You were always good to get my splinters out for me!!

Frank G. Noel said...

That super glue trick works pretty good. I've used it a few times myself.
When are we going fishing?
dad

Blanchards said...

Hey, I am a friend of Kim's through the Utah State Dance team. I just wanted to figure out how to see her blog so I can keep in touch with her. Could you tell her to email me racheljblanchard@hotmail.com. Thanks