Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I took the job

Cicero wrote 'We must not say every mistake is a foolish one'.

I'm of course hoping this decision was not a mistake, but if down the road I find out it was I hope I can say it wasn't a foolish one. About 2 months ago I got an email from the VP of Client Services at Rastar www.rastar.com. I am familiar with Rastar because there have been times when I would join my clients at Rastar's print shop to do press checks for their direct mail creative. At the time I thought they only did print production. For example, Sundance hired them to print the 100+ page brochure they sold at the Sundance Film Festival. Anyway, it turns out that they now have a division that is similar to Datamark's client services division. Their clientele is different but it's the same type of marketing and advertising. The email said that they would like to interview me for a position. Something like this has never happened to me so I was a little taken aback. 'Where are the cameras' right? Who's punking me? I wrote back and found out that it was legit. Julie, from Rastar, saw my resume on Monster.com and asked me to interview for the position. The following Thursday I interviewed, the next day I interviewed again and then was told to wait until they were able to figure out some HR issues. For the following 2 months Julie and I traded emails. I didn't want this opportunity to pass me by so I wrote her about every week. Finally, Julie said that she would like to interview me again and the following day they offered me the job.

This has been one of the hardest decision I've ever had to make. Datamark wasn't always the best place to work but over the past 8 months things have changed. My supervisor is truly looking out for my best interests and he has found ways to give me more responsibility to prove my worth. Datamark is moving in a better direction and doing what they can to make it a better place to work. I gotta say, they are trying, but if they don't start increasing salaries more people will be lured away like I was.

In a way I feel like I'm betraying my supervisor but hopefully he understands why I'm doing this. So far I feel like this is the right decision, but only time will tell.

1 comment:

Marianne and Matt said...

Congrats RY!! I am so happy for you and I know you will do great. I am sure it is scary and stressful starting a new job but just think you just got a huge Christmas bonus!