Monday, December 24, 2007

Who took the Christ out of Christmas?




So it's Christmas Eve and I'm in an Idaho blizzard right now. I tried to go get one final present for Kim, but after fighting traffic in this snow I turned right around and came back. This will definitely be a white Christmas.

Christmas is an interesting time of year. There are numerous traditions we all love to follow. But at the same time, unless those traditions help us remember the true meaning of Christmas, I wonder how important they really are. It is so easy to get caught up in the gift giving and receiving. I, for one, love receiving gifts from others. I wish, however, I was better at remembering what this season is all about. I struggle with keeping the 'True Meaning of Christmas' top of mind. Leave it to this very imperfect society to turn the birth of Christ into a time of year when we all shop, spend and eat beyond our limits.

I need to talk to Kim about this (and I know this is cliche) but I would like to start traditions in my own little family that are more centered around Christ, his birth, and service. I feel like I need to do this more for me than for Kim and Mason so hopefully she'll humor me on this one. Kim is so Christlike that I don't think she ever needs a reminder about what this season is about.

I know of one person that reads this blog (Marianne) but hopefully as my readership grows the rest of you can give some ideas. Marianne, do you guys have any traditions like this? I want to do stuff like feed the homeless, give to charity and serve some of our neighbors that may be less fortunate. What about traditions that you can do throughout the holiday season to give us a reality check put Christ back into Christmas? Any ideas y'all have would be great.

Merry CHRISTmas!!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hey Reji (does ANYONE call you that anymore???) I love the idea of finding Christlike Christmas traditions. I think some fun, exciting, hands on traditions my family had was 12 days of Christmas. My mom would change it every year (ie. one year was a food storage, one year was items we made, one year was Christ-related ) of course it was for a needy family and it was a HUGE secret, but it really was fulfilling to know someone out there was looking for their secret Santa every night. Very rewarding!

Marianne and Matt said...

I have been feeling the same as you this year. It has been stressful with the gift giving and the finances and that's what I become focused on. I have been trying to think of some ideas and I always thing about mom and dad and how without us even knowing on Christmas Eve they would leave money on peoples doorstep without being known. We aren't in the position to do that but I think service sounds like a good idea. Matt and I will brainstorm and then let you know what we come up with.